Thursday, August 12, 2010

EOC: Week 5: Ad Categories


Category 1: Endorsements Drew Barrymore, actress, director, and now spokeswoman of Covergirl Cosmetics, can afford to use the most high-end and expensive makeup products in the world. So why is her [beautiful] face the canvas for inexpensive mascara? She is endorsing the product, making consumers see that she uses it. "My, she's so beautiful! If I use this mascara, will I be beautiful just like her?" -- "Yes!" Covergirl would respond. With a hot celebrity endorsing a product, how could you lose? Exactly. YOU CAN'T.


Category 2: Declarations
Through an image of blood-stained shattered glass and a simple tagline: "Get the Message", the American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons is evoking a very strong emotional and physical connection: texting = death. It's not new news that texting while driving is dangerous, but when an ad shows in the most "PG rated" way its consequences, it strikes a chord with, well, EVERYONE. It's as simple as a piece of shattered glass.


Category 3: Meta-Advertising
This Apple ad is pretty much the definition of meta-advertising. "I'm a PC. I'm too business oriented and my operating system is so-so." "I'm a Mac. You should buy Macs because they're awesome, just like me." Just like all of Apple's other ads, this one is very simple, sweet, and to-the-point. Just looking at the differences in the men's outfits, it's clear that Macs are more relaxed, whereas PCs are suit-and-tie and restrictive. I'm already an Apple girl all the way. But even if I wasn't, this ad would make me run out and buy a Mac, just being this clean and simple.

No comments:

Post a Comment